Friday, 20 February 2009
Wednesday, 18 February 2009
Tuesday, 17 February 2009
- Time – Builders don’t make money until they start construction of the home. Sometimes they don’t make money until construction is completed. It drives them crazy having to wait for the design process to be completed.
- Money – Going through the traditional architectural design process costs money. Builders are constantly trying to manage escalating construction costs – and Architects represent another cost control issue.
- Attitude – Many Architects look down on the builder; and it shows. Our field likes to put down the housing industry, yet offers little in the way of assistance. So why would a builder want to work with us if he thinks we don’t respect him?
- Try to gain a better understanding the builders’ point of view. We also need to give them a better idea of who we are and the value that we bring to projects. We need to get out and start talking with them and learning from each other. With understanding comes mutual respect.
- Modify our process and deliverables for builders to save time and money. I am not arguing that we should give our services away. Our services are extremely valuable. I am only suggesting a modification of our services and deliverables to bring more value to the builder.
Wednesday, 11 February 2009
This service can be particularly helpful for a potential plan purchaser because it allows them to get an idea of how the house plan might fit into their own unique site location prior to purchasing the full plan set. Also, because google earth provides 3d terrain, it can also help to understand grading issues or identify special foundation conditions that might be required.
Simply Elegant Home Designs offers pre-designed home plans that are creative, simple, elegant, unique and green to individuals, builders and developers. Their goal is to provide the most discriminating home designs available and to be the most service oriented organization in the pre-designed house plans business. They can be reached at www.simplyeleganthomedesigns.com or 612-669-6411.